Goldfrapp: Felt Mountain


 I am haunted by ear-worms ... more days than not, even upon awakening, there is a song playing on repeat in my head. Not always the same song, thankfully, and quite frequently songs I actually like. These could be songs I've recently heard but sometimes they seem to wander in from somewhere else, from somewhere out of the past.
Recently I have been haunted by a song that is itself haunting. The strange strains of Goldfrapp's Deer Stop from the 2000 debut album Felt Mountain. An album I hadn't listened to in years, shame on me, for upon revisiting it I am struck by just how beautiful and strange a record it is.
For those more familiar with Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory's subsequent glam-infused, electronic dance sound, their inclusion on such a blog may seem odd. But Felt Mountain is not out of place at all here - the downtempo sound of it certainly invokes the uncanny and to me has the sound of a femme fatale singing in a smoky speakeasy somewhere on the moon perhaps. It is a difficult sound to describe for it is certainly of the 21st Century (just) and is left-field, strange electronica but there is something otherworldly and timeless and noir about it. I am so glad my brain led me back to it. Rather than me waffle on just give it a listen ...

The song that brought me back ...




and the full album ...

 

 



Comments

Popular Posts